- This is the only appearance of the Cotswolds family, with exception of Mark who makes cameos in later episodes.
- This is the last episode Mary Kay Bergman worked in. The episode was aired the day before her suicide.
- The title is a pun on the Hooked on Phonics spelling learning system.
- The word Kyle has to spell at the spelling bee (Krocsyldiphithic) is not an actual word.
- The name of the school dance is South Park Elementary Bay of Pigs Memorial Dance. It is named after an unsuccessful attempt by a CIA-trained force of Cuban exiles to invade southern Cuba, with support from US government armed forces, to overthrow the Cuban government of Fidel Castro. It was launched on April 17, 1961, and ended two days later.
- The flag of Slovenia appears on the back of Rebecca Cotswolds' bedroom door.
- The molecule hanging in Rebecca's room is ethanoic acid.
- Cartman briefly sings a song, the lyrics to which are:
- Who would have thought such a miracle could be?
- Who could have known that this moment I would see?
- A new way of living, a chance to be free?
References to Popular Culture编辑
- The heavy metal band Dio performs its hit song "Holy Diver" during the school dance.
- When Kyle is talking to Rebecca outside her house about "flicker of light", this is a direct reference to the Star Trek episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion", in which Captain Kirk gives a similar speech to an equally sheltered Shahna.
- Cartman asking Mark if he's in a plastic hamster ball because has "John Travolta disease" is an implied reference to the 1977 TV movie The Boy in the Plastic Bubble.
- Although Mark appears in a few episodes in a cameo role, Rebecca isn't seen again, though if you look closely in "Super Fun Time", you can see a girl resembling Rebecca with the same hair but different clothes.
- Butters receives his first kiss from an out-of-control Rebecca Cotswolds, however, in "Butters' Bottom Bitch" the other boys tease him for never having kissed a girl. The boys may have forgot about this event, however, it is more likely that this is a continuity error or he didn't kiss back.
- The instrumental version of Chef's song, "Stinky Britches", is played at the school dance before Dio performs.
- As this is an earlier episode, Butters has yet to be developed into his current persona, and as such is a bit out of character. Along with Craig, he is seen taking part in the bullying of Mark, demanding he leave his "hamster ball" as that part is "their part of the playground" and then taping him to a bench. He is generally mean-spirited towards Mark in this episode and this may be because he doesn't want to be one of the few people not to pick on him and be singled out.
- When Rebecca Cotswolds hits on Token, and Red turns her head to glare at her, Clyde and Annie Knitts are shown without mouths.
- When everyone spills onto the playground, Red is seen wearing Wendy's clothes.
- At the dance, Kelly is there with Kenny, although Kenny was dead at that point.
- In the first shot of the stage at the Spelling Bee, Mark is sitting in the chair beside Token. In the next shot of the stage Mark is not in the seat.
- When Mayor McDaniels is talking before the spelling bee, she says that the spelling bee is between 12 of South Park Elementary's brightest spellers, but there are only 10 students from South Park Elementary in the spelling bee. The other two are Mark and Rebecca, who are homeschooled.