This page contains trivia for "The Death of Eric Cartman". Remember, trivia must be factual, provable, and it is always best to cite your source for not-so-obvious trivia. If you would like to dispute a trivia point, please discuss it in the article comments.
- The idea of having Cartman eat the skin off of every piece of fried chicken came from a similar script meeting one evening when the writing staff were sitting around a table having a bucket of KFC for dinner while they discussed ideas and someone mentioned how terrible it would be if someone stole all the skins when everyone else was out of the room.
- This episode contains cameos of Sally Struthers, Ms. Claridge and Scott Tenorman during Cartman's song "Make it Right".
- When Cartman gives a fruit basket to Ms. Claridge, if you look on the far left, there are two preschoolers fighting over a toy, one of them looks very similar to Butters by his hair and clothes.
- Sally Struthers has been dieting since her appearance in "Starvin' Marvin in Space" - she is back to her original appearance, as opposed to looking like Jabba the Hutt from Star Wars.
- There are two graves near the Tenorman's that say "A. Kutch(last part is blocked by Scott's head)" and "K.Bryant".
- As of 2020, Kobe Bryant is deceased, but Ashton Kutcher is still alive.
- In bed, Butters is wearing a Chinpokomon shirt instead of his usual pajamas.
- This episode seems to end Kenny and Cartman's "best" friendship, which had been touched on in "Kenny Dies" and "Best Friends Forever". It never seems to fully recover in the future episodes not even after everyone stopped giving Cartman the silence treatment.
- Eric Cartman hands out fruit baskets to try to redeem himself:
- Principal Victoria - For various misdeeds over the course of the series.
- Ms. Claridge - For setting her on fire maiming her for life.
- A Jewish Synagogue - For his anti-Semitism and intolerance of other cultures.
- Scott Tenorman - For having his parents murdered and then tricking Scott into eating them.
- An Abortion Clinic - For when he convinced mothers to abort their babies so he could make a stem cell replica of Shakey's Pizza in "Kenny Dies".
- Mr. Anderson - Fixes his fence instead of giving a fruit basket.
- The Special Olympics - For impersonating a mentally handicapped child in order to compete in the games.
- Sally Struthers - For exposing her malfeasance to the Ethiopians.
References to Popular Culture
- When Butters hides himself in the kitchen cabinet, he mentions he saw a ghost like "that boy in the movie". Butters is referring to Cole Sear from the M. Night Shyamalan movie The Sixth Sense.
- Cartman and Butters trying to resolve all the bad deeds with the help of a psychic may be a reference to the TV show Ghost Whisperer.
- When Cartman and Butters visit Scott Tenorman in the graveyard there is a gravestone that reads "A. Kutcher" on it, in the background. This a reference to actor Ashton Kutcher and the movie he was in called The Butterfly Effect.
- In Butter's room during Cartman's rampage, several games can be seen on the bookshelf. Among them is:
- "Ollie Otter" which is a reference to the Talking Critters Series of books for kids.
- "Sink My Ship" which is a reference to "Battleship".
- Butters specking for Cartman is a parody of the movie The Invisible 2007 movie when Annie spoke for Nick.
- The graves of Mr. and Mrs. Tenorman say that they died in 2003, however the "Scott Tenorman Must Die" episode aired in 2001. This is due to South Park's "floating timeline", wherein dates are fluid, as the characters do not age over time.
- This is the third instance of Butters' signature song, "I've Got Some Apples".
- The text that is visible on the list are references to past episodes:
- ELECTROCUTED TEACHER - "Pre-School"
- LIED ABOUT ASTEROID HITTING EARTH - "Casa Bonita"
- PRETENDED TO BE JLO - "Fat Butt and Pancake Head"
- FAKED BEING A ROBOT - "AWESOM-O"
- TRIED TO KILL KENNY FOR PSP - "Best Friends Forever"
- EXTERMINATED HIPPIES - "Die Hippie, Die"
- DRESSED UP BUTTERS AS A FREAK - "Freak Strike"
- TRIED TO TAKE OVER THE EARTH
- MADE PEOPLE THINK I WAS PSYCHIC - "Cartman's Incredible Gift"
- KICKED MISTER KITTY
- BROKE ANDERSONS GATE
- CRAPPED IN PRINCIPALS PURSE
- CONVINCED WOMAN TO GET ABORTION - "Kenny Dies"
- EXTERMINATED JEWS - "The Passion of the Jew"
- FED PARENTS TO THEIR SON - "Scott Tenorman Must Die"
- PRETENDED TO BE RETARDED - "Up the Down Steroid"
- SALLY STRUTHERS INCIDENT - "Starvin' Marvin in Space"
- The list that Butters writes out is full of inconsistencies:
- When Butters helps Cartman write out the list, the list is made on a long scroll of paper with only the incidents written on it in pencil.
- After they give the gift basket to Sally Struthers, a close up shot of the list is shown and is now on a shorter sheet of paper that has a check box next to each incident.
- After Butters checks off the last item with a pencil, the camera changes angles to show the room and the list is now on a spiral bound notepad and the check marks are made with a red crayon instead of the pencil that Butters had just used.
- When Cartman lists off incidents to Butters, the last three he says are "I pretended to be retarded and joined the Special Olympics. I tried to have all the Jew exterminated last spring. Uhh, oh yeah, and there's this one kid whose parents I had killed and then made into chili which I fed to the kid. " and he writes them down in that order.
- When Butters pulls the upper portion of the list towards himself and tells Cartman that he has a lot to atone for, the text "FED PARENTS TO THEIR SON" is at the top of the list, even though that was the last incident Cartman mentioned.
- Then, after visiting Sally Struthers, the list in the close up now reads "EXTERMINATED JEWS", "FED PARENTS TO THEIR SON", "PRETENDED TO BE RETARDED" and "SALLY STRUTHERS INCIDENT" in that order.
- South Park: Season 9 DVD Boxset Episode Commentary