The Book of Mormon is a satirical musical with a book, lyrics, and music by Trey Parker, Matt Stone (the creators of South Park) and Robert Lopez. Parker and Stone co-created the music with Lopez, who also co-wrote and co-composed Avenue Q.
The show pokes fun at Judeo-Christian religions and traditional musical theater, reflecting the creators' lifelong fascination with Mormonism, Atheism, and Musicals Themes, also explored on South Park.
- Elder Kevin Price − One of the Mormon missionaries who wishes he were in Orlando.
- Elder Arnold Cunningham − Another missionary with a fondness for The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, which he preaches to his followers.
- Elder McKinley – One of the lead Mormon elders and the Church's current District Leader in Uganda. He is secretly gay, but in denial of his feelings.
- Nabulungi – Mafala Hatimbi's daughter, who dreams of moving to Sal Tlay Ka Siti.
- Mafala Hatimbi – A member of the Ugandan tribe and Cunningham and Price's tour guide. Nabulungi's father.
- General Butt-Fucking Naked – The murderous tyrant of the village that Price and Cunningham are sent to.
- Mission President – The leader of the Mormon missionaries.
- "Hello" − Price, Cunningham and Mormon Boys
- "Two by Two" − Price, Cunningham and Mormon Boys
- "You and Me (But Mostly Me)" – Price and Cunningham
- "Hasa Diga Eebowai" – Mafala, Price, Cunningham and Ugandans
- "Turn It Off" – McKinley and Missionaries
- "I Am Here for You" – Price and Cunningham
- "All American Prophet" – Price, Cunningham, Joseph Smith, Angel Moroni and Company
- "Sal Tlay Ka Siti" – Nabulungi
- "I Am Here for You" (Reprise) – Cunningham
- "Man Up" – Cunningham, Nabulungi, Price and Company
- "Making Things Up Again" – Cunningham, Cunningham’s Dad, Joseph Smith, Mormon, Moroni, Hobbits and Ugandans
- "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" – Price and Company
- "I Believe" – Price
- "Baptize Me" – Cunningham and Nabulungi
- "I Am Africa" – McKinley and Missionaries
- "Orlando" – Price
- "Joseph Smith American Moses" – Nabulungi, Mafala and Ugandans
- "Hasa Diga Eebowai" (Reprise) - Nabulungi
- "You and Me (But Mostly Me)" (Reprise) – Price and Cunningham
- "Tomorrow Is a Latter Day" – Price, Cunningham, McKinley, Nabulungi and Company
- "Hello" (Reprise) – Company
- A very brief plug for The Book of Mormon was shown at the end of the South Park episode "Broadway Bro Down", in which it was promised that "you'll get a blowjob". The episode, whose storyline centered on Broadway musicals, was also co-written by Robert Lopez.
- Other Matt Stone and Trey Parker works lampooning Mormonism include the 1997 film Orgazmo and the South Park episode "All About Mormons". Stone and Parker revealed in interviews  that their interest in Mormonism stemmed from growing up in Colorado, where they encountered many Mormons from neighboring Utah.