Satan was the ruler of Hell, and he often found his way up to the town of South Park to carry out his nefarious, and occasionally harmless, schemes. He is openly homosexual. Despite being evil incarnate, he has a compassionate and vulnerable personality.
He appeared as a major antagonist in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, along with his gay lover Saddam Hussein, but has also appeared in sympathetic roles in episodes such as "Probably", "Hell on Earth 2006", and "Freemium Isn't Free".
He battles ManBearPig in "Nobody Got Cereal?", only to be subdued and killed by the beast, after which he ascends to Heaven (which is considered ironic, as Satan was formerly an angel who became the ruler of Hell following his banishment from Heaven).
Satan was openly bisexual, as he was in a relationship with Saddam Hussein, later with a new lover, Chris, and yet another lover in "Best Friends Forever". Despite this, he does have a biological son named Damien. Satan is not content with his lot in eternity, and has in the past tried to take over the surface world.
He is not without compassion, however, and has shown that he has a good heart several times in the past, as when he granted Kenny a wish for helping him with his love life in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. He is actually shown to be very submissive and sensitive, likely the result of all the abuse he suffered at the hands of his previous boyfriend Saddam Hussein. Although he may seem dark and evil at time, his darker moments are just acts, and he is genuinely a nice person.
Satan is an accomplished singer, has had a boxing match with Jesus once, and has showcased other talents several times in the past. His voice sounds similar to that of Mr. Garrison, though it is much deeper and lower. This is more obvious at the end of the movie when he speaks with Mr. Hat's voice by saying, "Sure, Mr. Satan".
In "Nobody Got Cereal?", Satan accepts to help the boys and save the town from ManBearPig. He starts a fight with the demon by approaching him while he is killing a townsman. ManBearPig sees Satan and suddenly leaps onto a car, slashing at him and sending him to the ground. After grappling for a few seconds, ManBearPig grabs Satan's left horn, rips it off, drives it into Satan's chest and throws him to the ground. After a few punches, he runs away and leaves Satan on the ground, fatally injured.
After the fight, Kyle Broflovski, Eric Cartman, and Kenny McCormick quickly approach Satan as he dies. He tells the boys to keep trying and take down ManBearPig. As his spirit rises to Heaven, a small bell tolls and he gets angel wings.
Plots and Schemes
- In "Damien", he had a gambling scheme, in which he took a dive to Jesus in a boxing match, in order to collect the heavily favored prize winnings from the bookie. He succeeded in his scheme and returned to Hell.
- In South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, prophecy which foretold his conquering of the surface due to the intolerance brought into the world by Mothers Against Canada. He succeeded, although his plot was hijacked by his then boyfriend, Saddam Hussein, who makes all the earth bow down to him. The plot fails after Saddam is defeated by Cartman. Satan finally works up the courage to stand up to Saddam, thanks to Kenny's advice, so he throws Saddam down from cliff, impaling him on a sharp rock. As thanks for the help from Kenny, he pulls his demons back to hell and grants Kenny his wish for everything to return to normal, not before the residents of South Park invite Satan to pay another visit sometime.
- In "Best Friends Forever", he tried to conquer heaven in a war. He nearly succeeded in doing so but was thwarted by Kenny McCormick, who was commanding the armies of heaven with a golden PSP.
Satan is a large red, humanoid creature with heavy musculature. He wears black shorts, black hooves, and a black belt with blue trimming and a skull belt buckle. He has yellow horns on his head and yellow eyes. He knees point outward when we walks or stands. The design of Satan is modeled after the mythological Greek Satyr, half goat/half man.
Since "Best Friends Forever", Satan's appearance has been redesigned, he now has less beard, his biceps appear to be sturdier, and grooves are added to his horns.
- To see images of Satan, visit Satan/Gallery.
Powers and Abilities
As explained by Alec Vaughn in "Nobody Got Cereal?", Satan was "one of the most powerful entities, supposedly, in the universe", despite the fact that he was easily killed by ManBearPig, while he only used his super strength like muscles against him. However, the Canadian devil Beelzaboot was easy defeated by him, since he possessed Stan Marsh as human host to use his own supernatural powers such as fire rays or the hole that absorbing anything in Hell. It is unknown how truly powerful Satan was, but he was among South Park's strongest creatures which include God, ManBearPig, and Cthulhu. His powers include, but are not limited to:
- Super Strength: When he fights Jesus Christ, he had the advantage over his component in terms of both height and muscular strength, giving him an edge during the boxing match. His strength is also shown when he kills Saddam Hussein for the first time in "Probably", as he is able to easily carry him and throw him into a spike in Hell. In "Hell on Earth 2006", when he realizes that his Halloween party was ruined, he hits Zazul, sending the latter flying across the screen.
- Fire Manipulation: After he becomes upset with Chris, Satan burns one of his own minions using this ability. He did the same to Saddam Hussein in Hell, but it was unable to kill him since he was already dead and in Hell. Satan has never been seen using this power on Earth, except for when he possessed Stan Marsh as his human host, during which time he used it against the Canadian devil Beelzaboot.
- Dimensional Travel: Satan is able to travel between dimensions such as Heaven and Hell at will as shown in "Probably". He also travels to Earth on several occasions, such as to fight Jesus in "Damien", or when preparing for his Halloween party in "Hell on Earth 2006".
- Flight: When Stan is possessed by Satan, he is seen with the ability to fly.
- Weather Manipulation: In the episode "Damien", he manipulates the weather in order to impress the South Park townsfolk.
- Injury Immunity: During South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, in which he attempts to take over the world, he and his minions are unaffected by the weaponry of the U.S. military. This implies that he is impervious to physical harm to some extent. He is, however, defeated by ManBearPig in "Nobody Got Cereal?", though this could be due to the fact that ManBearPig is an immortal being himself.
- Reality Warping: To thank Kenny McCormick for helping him find the strength to defeat Saddam, Satan promised grant him a wish. Per the boy's request, the demon leader warped reality to make it so that all the damages caused by the war and himself are reversed.
- Absorbing Vortex Creation: In "Freemium Isn't Free", he defeats Beelzaboot by creating a hole that absorbs the Canadian devil.
Saddam Hussein is Satan's abusive gay lover in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. They are also seen together in "The Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka". Saddam Hussein is incredibly abusive towards Satan, often manipulating him into going along with his plans. After Kenny helps Satan realize that Satan does not need Saddam, the pair stop seeing each other regularly. However, despite being involved with a new partner, Chris, Satan still harbored some feelings for Saddam, which manifested in "Probably".
Chris was Satan's new boyfriend in "Probably". Their relationship is much more mutually friendly, as Chris was kind and helpful to Satan. However, Satan's submissive personality led him to seek out a dominant partner, similar to his old boyfriend, Saddam, which led to Chris and Saddam repeatedly killing each other for Satan's love. By the end of the episode, with some advice from God, Satan decides that he does not need either Chris or Saddam.
Kevin is Satan's conniving ex-boyfriend, and former personal assistant and advisor. Like Satan's previous love interests, Kevin proved himself to be no good for him. In the episode, "Best Friends Forever", Kevin attempts to have his boyfriend removed from his position of power in Hell through means of Kenny McCormick. However, his plans are foiled, and he is dumped. He was subsequently murdered by Satan.
- Satan weighs 320 pounds 4 ounces.
- Satan's depiction as a homosexual in South Park may be due to the belief, mainly held by Christians, that homosexuality is a sin.
- He makes a cameo in "Mecha-Streisand", in Barbra Streisand's hideout in the background, in a portrait posing with Barbra.
- Instead of having a six-pack on Satan's stomach, he has a "four-pack". This was intentionally seen as a joke.
- For the first half of the film, Satan was the primary antagonist, causing the most direct conflict for the four boys to face. However, after he joins forces with Saddam they operate equally, until the ending where Saddam steps out on top.
- Satan's death, and ascension to heaven as an angel is a play on the title of Red Dead Redemption, the game that was prominently featured in the episode. Satan is red, he was then dead, and achieved redemption.
- "Damien" - Challenges a fight to Jesus.
- "Mecha-Streisand" (Cameo) - Seen in Barbra Streisand's hideout, in a portrait posing with Barbra.
- "The Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka" - Seen holding hands with Saddam Hussein.
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut - Married to Saddam Hussein in Hell.
- "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" - Sings the song "Christmas Time in Hell".
- "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?"
- "A Ladder to Heaven" (Mentioned)
- "Woodland Critter Christmas" (Mentioned)
- "Best Friends Forever" - Sends an army of people from Hell onto Heaven.
- "Hell on Earth 2006" - Throws a Halloween party.
- "Freemium Isn't Free" - Possesses Stan to fight the Canadian Devil.
- "Time To Get Cereal" - Summoned by Al Gore to fight ManBearPig.
- "Nobody Got Cereal?" - Attempts to fight ManBearPig but is killed.
- ""South Park" Damien (TV episode 1998)". IMDb.com.