- For other uses, see Rebecca (disambiguation).
Both Rebecca and her brother were very sheltered in their home-schooled life and, until the spelling bee, hadn't seen the outside town. While Mark wanted to go to a public school, Rebecca had no interest in the outside world and chose to stay at home.
Kyle Broflovski developed a crush on Rebecca and began to pursue her, though she was oblivious to his advances. The two had eventually talk with each other, and Rebecca was finally becoming curious about the outside world. After learning about love, and being kissed by Kyle, she agreed to go to go with him to the school dance.
However, after having been sheltered for so long, Rebecca instantly became over-enthusiastic and began dressing and acting in a promiscuous manner. At the dance, she was seen hitting on Butters, Token, and Pip, much to her brother's horror.
Mark retaliated for Kyle turning his sister into a slut, and proceeded to beat him up. Impressed, the other boys began to hang out with Mark. Their father attempted to intervene, but Mark convinced him that it would be better to face these social situations now, versus in the future.
Unlike her brother, Rebecca has yet to reappear on the show.
Rebecca wears a lime green jacket with a deep magenta collar, and yellow trousers. Her hair is rather curly and is held back at each side by two round, red barrettes.
When she first appeared in the episode, her jacket's collar briefly changed to a white one with two red ribbons dangling from it, due to an animation error. Her hair was depicted as being dark brown in those frames as well.
As a slut, her hair was feathered and teased out to a large, wild style. She wore a green-and-black spotted bra top, an ankle-length, black-and-silver skirt, and a pair of black stiletto pumps.
Though she is intelligent and studious as well, Rebecca is naive and sheltered from the ways of the world and rather introverted. Her awkward behavior and reclusive personality stems from her lack of social life.
She tends to stammer a lot, her voice almost constantly quivering and shaking in a flat tone, and seems to shy away from eye contact. One of her major quirks is her tapping and clasping of her hands together, and when spelling, she opens them to whisper the letters of a word into them before she says them out loud. Typically when she is not speaking, she is biting her lower lip. She also tends to shake much like Tweek Tweak but not as severe.
She had no idea what love was, or even how to kiss, considering the idea and the outside world to be "silly". The only concept of "love" she had was that of a "mate", and said that her provider would select one for her when it would come time to "increase the herd".
After experiencing what a kiss was, she considered her newfound loose behavior as "having fun", unaware of what proper love was, having been denied knowledge of it for so long.
Rebecca was also oblivious to the double meaning of her "doctor" game, her parents fearing that she was getting sexual with Kyle. In reality, she was pretending to be a doctor and was using him as a brain surgery patient.
Though Kyle had a crush on Rebecca, she remained clueless to his advances. She didn't reciprocate his strong feelings for her, but she kissed him when all the chaos was over at the dance.
- Rebecca is loosely based on Rebecca A. Sealfon, a girl who had won a spelling championship two years before the episode. Rebecca retains her namesake's quirk of whispering the letters of a word into her hands.
- The role of Rebecca Cotswolds and her mother were the last new characters voiced by Mary Kay Bergman, who committed suicide shortly after the episode's airdate.
- Rebecca and Kyle's interactions are a reference to the Star Trek episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion", with Kyle assuming the role of Captain Kirk and Rebecca assuming the role of Shahna.
- The final word that Rebecca is asked to spell is "littoral" which she spells incorrectly as "L-I-T-O-R-A-L", but she and her brother Mark still win the spelling bee as her answer is labelled as correct by the mayor.
Unlike her brother, Rebecca has not made another appearance in the show since "Hooked on Monkey Fonics". It may be that she decided not to follow him to public school after all, or that she's in a different grade or class. It's also possible that she was still not allowed to go due to her alternate reaction than her brother to be putting into a school.
- "Hooked on Monkey Fonics" - Mark and Rebecca win the spelling bee. Rebecca has a brief relationship with Kyle.
- ↑ ""South Park" Hooked on Monkey Fonics (TV episode 1999)". IMDb.com.