- For other uses, see Kelly (Disambiguation).
In "Fat Camp", Butters collects the manatee remains Kenny McCormick had vomited with his "R. Kelly Cup" (an actual bottle with the face of R. Kelly and his name written above the picture) and gives it to Kenny so he'd eat it back after all the kids were willing to give him money to do so.
In "Trapped in the Closet", the local news media asks him to sing to Tom Cruise, who is refusing to come out of Stan Marsh's closet. When John Travolta joins Tom Cruise in the closet, R. Kelly pulls out a gun and holds a woman in the crowd hostage. He eventually joins Tom Cruise and John Travolta in the closet and sings with them. When he leaves with them at the episode's conclusion, he looks timid and scared, implying they sexually abused him. He is later seen at the MTV Music Awards in "Britney's New Look".
R. Kelly has a thick black beard, as well as black eyebrows that are very close to eyes. He wears a creme suit, creme pants, a white v-neck, and an earring on his right ear.
R. Kelly seems to obsessively sing every word he says. He carries around a small pistol, which he has no problems using to intimidate others into getting what he wants. His personality in the episode is a homage to his exaggerated personality in his musical video series also called Trapped in the Closet.
- R. Kelly is infamously known in real life for allegedly videotaping himself having sex with underage girls and was even charged with child pornography, although his pedophilia was not mocked on the show. The fact that Tom Cruise and John Travolta possibly sexually abused him could be a reference to the incident, though perhaps in a sympathetic manner. R. Kelly would eventually be convicted on nine federal sex trafficking charges on September 27, 2021.
- ""South Park" Trapped in the Closet (TV episode 2005)". IMDb.com.
- "R. Kelly: The history of allegations against him". BBC News (August 7, 2021).
- "Live Updates: R. Kelly Is Found Guilty of All Counts and Faces Life in Prison", New York Times (27 September 2021).