- For other uses, see Professor (disambiguation).
|March 2017 Featured Article Winner|
Professor Chaos is the supervillain alter-ego of Butters Stotch. He first appears in the self-titled episode, "Professor Chaos". He originally becomes Professor Chaos due to the fact that he is occasionally seen to others as futile after being rejected as a replacement for Kenny, making him a lonely outcast ultimately turning to the dark side. Professor Chaos later meets Dougie and makes him his new sidekick, General Disarray.
- 1 Background
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Prominence
- 6 Video Games
- 7 References
After several episodes as The Boys' fourth friend following the "permanent" death of Kenny, Butters was fired by the others for being "too lame" and being unable to fill Kenny's niche. Fed up with such poor treatment by his classmates, he turns to a life of evil and builds his costume. Professor Chaos begins to attempt a reign of terror by switching Bennigan's menus, stealing erasers, among other minor crimes, and becomes increasingly frustrated with a lack of recognition from the town, blaming it on a government cover-up. His identity is soon figured out by another boy, who turns out to be Dougie, who joins him as General Disarray, due to their status as outcasts. He shows technical skill by hacking into a large screen at a baseball game where he announces his plans to flood the Earth, which again fails. His final plan is to use aerosol cans to deplete the ozone layer. This plan also fails.
In "The Simpsons Already Did It", Chaos becomes even more disillusioned with his plans when Dougie points out they all seem to be ripped off from the show "The Simpsons" and even when he comes up with good, original plans, the show uses them (including the one about replacing the chocolates in the cherries). He nearly suffers a mental breakdown, seeing everyone in the town as their Simpsons counterparts until the boys, Chef and Mr. Garrison finally help him realize all the ideas the Simpsons have already done are just carbon copies of ideas from other television programmes. They also go on to point out that every idea has already been done in some way or another. With a new perspective, Butters returns to his plans of devastating the world.
Of interesting note, during this short arc, Diane Choksondik is killed, but her last surviving appearance is chasing off Professor Chaos.
He is seen confronted as a primary antagonist against The Boys in "Good Times with Weapons", where he's initially mistaken as Craig when Cartman asks, "Craig, is that you?" He is later revealed to be Butters after being hit with Kenny's shuriken. After he's hit with a shuriken, the boys try to hide him from their parents to no avail, even dressing him up as a dog and putting him in a shelter, but in the end, Butters' condition is ignored when Cartman's penis is shown in front of the entire town.
After finally getting sick of his abusive Grandma, Butters becomes Chaos to try and stop her from bullying him, but she had adopted her own evil alter ego and easily overpowered Chaos with the threat of Gummy Bears. This is his last appearance so far.
In the 'Superheroes Arc', Professor Chaos doesn't display any electromagnetic superpowers as a villain like he did "Good Times with Weapons", although they were just imaginary, and is defeated by Mysterion when Chaos and General Disarray fought him near the end of the episode. Cartman, as the Coon, seeks Chaos's assistance in order to figure out the identity of Mysterion. He then allies with Professor Chaos and bullies Chaos into threatening to blow up a hospital if Mysterion doesn't reveal his identity. When the Coon leaves, Mysterion confronts Chaos, and Disarray flees. Disarray soon rejoins the fight and flees again in their brawl against Mysterion. Then, the Coon comes to finish off Chaos by slashing him, thus making Chaos run away home. He later encourages Mysterion to reveal his identity otherwise crime can ensue.
In the later episodes of the Superheroes Arc, Chaos is only seen inside a holding cell at the Coon and Friends Headquarters as a punishment for his misdeeds, though it isn't seen what his deeds were. At the end of "Coon vs. Coon & Friends", The Coon is also in the same cell as Chaos after Cthulhu was defeated by Mint Berry Crunch.
Professor Chaos returns in the Season Twenty-One episode, "Franchise Prequel", where he creates fake Facebook posts about the Coon and Friends, ruining their reputation and keeping them from getting Netflix to greenlight their superhero franchise. He later hires a group of children to act as his minions, the Chaos Kids, and write even more fake posts about them. Butters then works with Mark Zuckerberg, who aids him in his plan, allowing all fake posts to surface, as the public blindly accepts each post as 'news'. However, Professor Chaos is thwarted when the Coon and Friends simultaneously clear their names, defeat Zuckerberg, and force him to shut down Facebook entirely.
A key to Professor Chaos's Lair and costume can be found at Butters' house. The lair is located at the storage facility where the player can befriend General Disarray, get several items, a Chinpokemon, and roof access.
Butters 3rd ability is "Professor Chaos" which has Butters turn into the anime style Professor Chaos, the player then spins a wheel to choose an ability. These abilities include:
- Chaos Cloak: Butters gives himself and The New Kid 9 shield.
- Life Drain: Butters takes HP off enemies and restores his and The New Kid's.
- Hammer Of Chaos: Butters calls down a huge hammer to damage all enemies stunning them.
- Chaos Storm: Butters zaps 5 random targets with electricity.
- Chaos Blast: Butters blasts all enemies with a laser resembling a Kamehameha from the Dragon Ball series, also Butters uses this move against Nazi Zombie Death in the Nazi Zombie Kenny final boss fight.
The boys quickly suspect Professor Chaos as behind the attacks on the town and confront him in the "Butters' House" level, but after a brief discussion of his evil plan, he admits his real plan was far less devious and that he was not actually behind the attacks. Villains arrive and battle the five boys, but by the end, Chaos shatters a testicle, and is taken to Hells Pass Hospital, the site of the next level, and afterwards is absent from the storyline.
He can be unlocked as a playable character if one has one of several unique special codes which were released with South Park: The Complete Thirteenth Season or are awarded online if you are very skilled at the game. His move set is the "Sniper"-type used by Kenny McCormick, Craig Tucker, and Pip Pirrip, with slow movement but heavy damage. His special ability is akin to that of Eric Cartman, reigning chaos and causing heavy damage to enemies all over the screen.
Professor Chaos wears tinfoil gloves, helmet, boots, and a green cape. His helmet has a red dot on the forehead. His helmet has no top, showing Butter's blonde hair. He has aluminum shoulder pads, connected by a chain that goes across his chest, shoulder to shoulder.
In "Good Times with Weapons", his appearance changes, such as becoming a muscular adult, his blonde hair becomes a blonde Mohawk, and boots change to feet wrapped in bandages, mimicking Muay Thai fighters who wear on bandages their feet. Professor Chaos mentions that his green cape is weaved with titanium. His eyes show no iris or pupils, like those of various anime characters in the episode, such as Bullrog's (Cartman) or Craig's.
- To see images of Professor Chaos, visit Butters Stotch/Gallery.
Powers and Abilities
Professor Chaos seems to be a mad-scientist-like villain whose goal is to bring chaos and disorder. In his debut episode, he was able to hack the Jumbotron screen at the stadium to announce that he's going to flood the world. This is the only exceptional act he has done as his immense powers in "Good Times with Weapons" are his imagination. He seems to be frustrated in "The Simpsons Already Did It" because every plan he came up with had already been done by the Simpsons but got over it after Chef and Garrison concluded that ideas have always been done by another, hence passed down.
His superpowers are only featured in "Good Times with Weapons". When donning on his costume, he turns into a large muscular man, surrounded with an electromagnetic aura. When introducing himself to The Boys, he is able to hover above the ground and discharge bolts of lighting around him. His titanium cape is able to shield himself from special abilities cast by the boys. He is able to jump up in the air and land on the ground causing a miniature earthquake. He is able to instantly cast a web, thus trapping people such as Stan and Kyle in the "Web of Holding". After Kenny's shuriken cuts Chaos's eye, Professor Chaos reverts into Butters. In the Superheroes Arc, there is no indication of the superpowers he had in "Good Times with Weapons"
- Professor Chaos may be based upon Magneto from X-Men, as he can create electromagnetic pulses similar to him, as seen in "Good Times with Weapons". He also has a similar helmet.
- His costume is a satire of the costume worn by Dr. Doom, a villain in the Fantastic Four comic book series.
- He was plagiarized in the British comic The Dandy, page 7 of issue 3565. A young reader had sent a picture of Professor Chaos in as a competition entry, part of the prize for which is the character appearing in a comic strip. He is depicted as an adult superhero, the artist apparently having failed to notice that Professor Chaos is an existing character.
- "Professor Chaos"-
- "The Simpsons Already Did It"
- "My Future Self n' Me" - Butters shows his costume to Stan, which he mistakes as coming out as gay.
- "Krazy Kripples" - Seen at Christopher Reeve's evil meeting along with other villains.
- "I'm a Little Bit Country" (Cameo) - Seen in the crowd with all the characters.
- "Good Times with Weapons"
- "Go God Go"
- "The Coon" - Teams up with the Coon to find out who Mysterion is.
- "Coon 2: Hindsight" - Seen in the Coon and Friends jail and ask for food.
- "Mysterion Rises" - Mysterion asks Chaos why he took a photo of a hobo with a photoshopped of Captain Hindsight.
- "Coon vs. Coon & Friends" - Asks if he can see the "double rainbow" and The Coon (character) later joins him as his cellmate.
- "City Sushi" (Mentioned only) - Nearly burned by Butters until Dr. Jauns interrupts him.
- "Butterballs" - Tries to teach his abusive grandmother a lesson but she had already adapted a new super-villain of her own.
- "Sarcastaball" (Costume only)
- "Franchise Prequel" - Creates fake Facebook posts about the Coon and Friends to ruin their reputation. Hires an army of children, the Chaos Kids, to help him. Is later thwarted when the Coon and Friends force his business partner, Mark Zuckerberg, to take down Facebook.
- "A Boy And A Priest" - Seen during the montage, being watched by Father Maxi.
Official Ally Description
Professor Chaos outsources chaos with ruthless efficiency, relying on an army of hamster minions, Chaos Kids, and Minions to execute his vaguely evil plans. Not an accredited professor.
Professor Chaos is a Blaster-Summoner.
Beginning with his ultimate, his in-game powers are listed below, with their official names and descriptions.
- Hammer of Chaos - Awe and Shock foes with a giant hammer.
- Chaos Blast - Unleash a blast of concentrated Chaos.
- Chaos Confus-O-Tron - Confuse and Shock a foe.
- Hired Hands - Summon a Chaos Minion.
|Playable Fractured But Whole Characters|