Nathan is a mentally handicapped student at South Park Elementary who is first seen in the Season Eight episode, "Up the Down Steroid". He was later seen at summer camp in "Crippled Summer", during the fundraiser in "Handicar", and competing in the science fair in "Moss Piglets". He is usually accompanied by his lackey, Mimsy, and frequently serves to be a rival/antagonist of Jimmy Valmer.
Nathan sold steroid medication illegally to Jimmy Valmer during the events of "Up the Down Steroid", when Jimmy tries to find ways to win the Special Olympics. This led to Jimmy physically abusing Nancy and his mother in a fit of roid rage, but with winning all of the events in the Special Persons Olympics. Afterward, Jimmy felt guilty for cheating and confessed to the Olympic committees, resulting in his forfeit of the medals he won.
Nathan's second appearance was in "Crippled Summer" at the summer camp named Lake Tardicaca, a summer camp for the disabled. Every summer, the camp splits into two teams, who compete for the camp championship in a series of games. While Jimmy is the beloved leader of the camp's Blue team, Nathan is the sinister leader of the Red team, which is why they had lost to the Blue team three years running. Furious for losing to Jimmy so often, he creates assorted plots aimed at not only ruining the Blue team's chance at victory but also will result in the death of Jimmy, who Nathan confesses to loathe. However, Nathan's lackey, Mimsy, continuously botches up Nathan's plans, which causes Nathan to suffer a bite from a Black Mamba snake, be painfully attacked by Native Americans, comically raped by the shark inland and finally blown himself up. While being rushed to the hospital, Jimmy, who is crowned king of summer camp, and who is unaware of Nathan's loathing, gives Nathan his crown as a sign of goodwill. Nathan, however, confesses to hating Jimmy and threatens Mimsy for his stupidity.
His third major appearance was in "Handicar", where he again plays the main antagonist, along with Mimsy as his sidekick. When he hears about making a fundraiser to go to summer camp, Nathan is already over with going to camp with Jimmy being successful again. He attempts to sabotage the fundraising efforts of Timmy's new transportation business, which is earning a lot of money towards the class goal of returning to Lake Tardicaca summer camp, by hiring cab drivers to "break" Timmy's legs, sexually harass a woman while being hired to the business, and making a race to take the prize money by winning. After the race, Nathan tries to convince his mom that he does not want to return to camp, but she pretends to not understand him.
He appears again in the Season Nineteen trilogy. PC Principal makes him the editor of the Super School Newspaper. Nathan is later revealed to be working for Leslie Meyers. In PC Principal Final Justice, Nathan holds Jimmy hostage and reveals he has been getting the PC people to work with ads. He has a new girlfriend, known as Classi. Nathan then plans for a tragedy in The South Park Gun Show, but Classi objects. He hits her and is consequently beaten up by her while Jimmy escaped.
Nathan appears again in the Season Twenty-One episode "Moss Piglets", where he gets jealous of Jimmy and Timmy's project as he realizes it will win the science fair. He and Mimsy try to sabotage their project in an attempt to steal the win from them. He puts a hair curler in the Water Bears sample, electrifying them, which unwittingly makes them smarter.
Nathan plans out the attacks and is the boss over Mimsy; he is also the team captain for the red camp. However, Mimsy and his allies sometimes do not understand his moves and which end up backfiring at Nathan.
Nathan can play the notes on the bomb-rigged ukulele correctly, which heedlessly exploded on him instead of Jimmy.
Nathan is a capable drug dealer, being able to handle money and sell drugs to the other students. He is also seen selling accounts for different streaming services in "Basic Cable".
He has committed and shown examples of various criminal activities throughout the series.
- Child abuse/assault: Nathan is very often seen punching Mimsy for his dumbfound actions, and he does this with Classi as well.
- Distribution of illegal substances: During the events of "Up the Down Steroid", he sold steroid medication to Jimmy Valmer, ones that do not appear on any given urine test. This crime would result in Nathan serving a year in juvenile hall as well as a $1,000 fine.
- Breaking and entering: In Moss Piglets, Nathan and Mimsy were breaking in the Special Ed Classroom to sabotage Jimmy and Timmy's science project.
- Trespassing: As one of his plans to kill Jimmy, Nathan attempts to make Jimmy use a treasure map that ends up at a indian tribe. Mimsy instead, switches their team's map to the fake one and Nathan fell to his own trap walking there.
- Attempted murder: Throughout the episode "Crippled Summer" he makes several attempts—all of which fail due to him leaving Mimsy in charge—to cause Jimmy's death throughout the Lake Tardicaca camp games.
- Violation of explosives and fireworks laws: In the same episode, Nathan plants a C4 explosive in the ukulele Jimmy plays during the solo of the "Tardicaca" Hula Gal. This action is illegal because it was attempted murder and the use of plastic explosives without a license. In the episode "Handicar" during the Wacky Race, he detonates a remote explosive that was supposed to kill Timmy and HandiCar, but thanks to Mimsy, he blows up the Zipcar instead.
- Attempted armageddon: During the events of Sponsored Content, Truth and Advertising and PC Principal Final Justice, he tries to conquer South Park with ads with the help of Leslie. This was all foiled by Classi betraying Nathan and PC Principal killing Leslie.
- Kidnapping/false imprisonment: To make his plans go successfully, Nathan takes Jimmy hostage in his apartment to keep him from spoiling the truth by taking his crutches, with Leslie telling others Jimmy's dead. In the "Bring the Crunch" DLC, Nathan hires criminals to kidnap and kill the Lake Tardicaca counselors.
- Contract killing: In the "Bring the Crunch" DLC of South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Nathan has hired drug-addicted criminals dressed like Halloween monsters to kidnap and kill the counselors at Lake Tardicaca so that the authorities can shut down the camp so that he never has to go every summer again. This is then foiled by The New Kid, Professor Chaos (Butters), Fastpass (Jimmy), Doctor Timothy (Timmy), and Mintberry Crunch (Bradley) before he could do so with the last remaining one.
The most notable appearance of Nathan is that his head is always looking up at an angle, usually to one side, or he might just have a comically large chin. Nathan has squinty eyes, long dark blond hair, and wears tinted glasses (it’s unknown if these are sunglasses or prescription lenses). On most occasions, he wears a dark gray buttonless jacket with red trim and an orange shirt underneath, gray baggy pants, and green sneakers with white stripes.
In "Handicar", when he goes to sleep, he wears a light blue onesie with blue trimmings and yellow stars. He talks in a low, raspy voice with a slight speech impediment, i.e. pronouncing “shark” as “shorwk”.
In South Park: Post Covid, Nathan appears as an adult man. He is seen with a teal tracksuit, and a gold necklace, similar to Mimsy. He also has long hair in a ponytail, stubble on his large chin, and seemingly white pearls on his glasses.
- To see images of Nathan, visit Nathan/Gallery.
Nathan has Down syndrome. He also likely has some form of sociopathy, as evidenced by his plots in "Crippled Summer". While all his plots fail in a fairly cartoonish manner, the intention behind them (i.e. getting Jimmy and his friends stabbed, murdered, poisoned, raped, or bled to death) hints at poor mental health. His anger could also be due to his parents not taking him seriously. He often pretends to be more disabled than he really is to conceal his real plans, such as in "Sponsored Content", when he responds to PC Principal by saying "I like apples and bananas".
However, in "South Park: Post Covid" he attends Kenny's wake set up by Jimmy, and laughs at his "woke" jokes. This implies that either his hatred of Jimmy has gone away or has greatly diminished.
Each problem that hits Nathan in the episode "Crippled Summer" would be fatal in real life: A bite from the venomous Black Mamba causes death fairly quickly; arrows at high velocity to the center of mass often cause death by exsanguination; the weight of a full-grown shark on top of a human is fatal; a close-range explosion of C4 leads to instant death. Nathan's inexplicable survival throughout the episode follows a common Looney Tunes theme, where characters survive normally fatal catastrophic events.
The relationship between Nathan and his parents is terrible overall since they baby him and it is possibly the main reason behind Nathan's morbid mind.
Nathan finds it hard to communicate with his parents, so he barely confides in them. For instance, he suffers at the Tardicaca Summer Camp every year, but his parents know nothing about this, until "Handicar". Nathan does not have much respect for them either.
On the other hand, his parents are totally carefree and they pay no attention to him. It is revealed in "Handicar" that they are aware of his dislike of camp and purposely send Nathan to summer camp just to ensure their own trip to Italy.
Nathan's only friend is his lackey Mimsy, who does whatever Nathan tells him. He abuses Mimsy verbally and physically for their failures in the various plots against the blue team at the summer camp. Just as Nathan is about to order Mimsy to do another plot to kill Jimmy, a teammate says "Gee, I wish our team captain was as awesome as Jimmy", could probably hint that a lot of people do not like him.
Nathan harbors an utter hatred and jealousy towards Jimmy and has schemed several ploys to get him killed, but they always backfire on him. In his first appearance in "Up the Down Steroid", he sells steroids to Jimmy to help him compete in the Special Olympics, but has since developed a one-sided rivalry with him. Jimmy has either remained oblivious to Nathan's disgust towards him or simply has not let it bother him.
There seems to be less about his relationship with Timmy, but it might be caused with him being friends with Jimmy. In "Handicar", Nathan tried to sabotage Timmy's new Handicar taxi service just to get out of summer camp.
Nathan is always the mastermind, but not with Leslie Meyers. In Season Nineteen, Nathan is revealed to be the lackey of Leslie, he replaces Jimmy as the school newspaper writer and puts sponsored content as well as fake news on it. He is ordered by Leslie to hold Jimmy hostage, in his loft at CtPaTown.
Nathan explains that "I'm just gonna make sure I'm on the right side of it", which implies that he actually fears Leslie's inhuman powers. He earns a big fortune by working for Leslie though.
The New Kid
Nathan's plan was foiled by the New Kid during Bring the Crunch, and he blames the New Kid for his painful endurance of mind-rape, this results in Nathan's grudge. The hatred enhanced when the New Kid farted on him, but he still hates Jimmy more.
Nathan hired Classi to be his live-in girlfriend using the money he earned from collaborating with Leslie and the Ads. Unlike Mimsy, Classi is far from stupid and warns Nathan the Ads are simply using him for their own gain. He tries slapping her into shutting up, but she hurts him twice as hard and defects to Jimmy's side, helping him escape and preventing the Ads from taking over the world.
- Nathan's look and speech pattern are inspired by Sean Costello of "How's Your News", a current events program that ran on MTV and starred reporters with developmental disabilities. Trey Parker and Matt Stone were the executive producers of the series.
- The series was itself based on a 2002 film of the same name.
- While Nathan normally talks in a fairly adult and intelligent manner, he adopts a more childish voice when addressed by the adult counselors so he would not be suspected of any crimes. Also, he has a slight speech impediment due to his disability.
- Nathan's relationship with Mimsy is similar to that of the Warner Brother cartoon characters, Rocky and Mugsy. This similarity is further referenced when it is revealed in "Handicar" that Nathan has a Rocky and Mugsy poster in his bedroom.
- All of Nathan's various plots that backfire throughout the camp games are similar to the Laff-A-Lympics.
- Nathan has connections to high-level steroids that can fool drug tests, something more likely to be sold to adult athletes; how he obtained these drugs is a mystery.
- Sometimes, Nathan would lower his head to reveal a large point at the top of his head as seen in some shots of "Crippled Summer".
- On a similar note, most of the time, Nathan's eyes are squinted, but sometimes he widens them when he is about to be in trouble as shown in two parts of "Handicar" when he widened his eyes before saying "Uh-Oh!", especially when he found out he picked up a person in drag.
- Nathan's parents know he does not like summer camp, but act like they do not understand him so they can go on trips without him over the summer.
- "Shut up, Mimsy!"
- "Yes counselor Steve, I like the fun canoe."
- "Get ready, Mimsy. Blue Team is about to go boom."
- "No, not the shark again!! Not the shark again!!"
- "I hate you, Jimmy. I fucking hate you with everything in my entire being..."
- "Let me give you guys a hot news flash: If you want to hurt a crippled kid, you don't break his FUCKING LEGS!"
- "And I thought a shark was bad."
- "Shut up, Classi!"
- "I really hate Jimmy. Hate him."
- "Hello. My name’s Nathan. I’m disabled."
Nathan, along with Mimsy, are featured as bosses in the Bring the Crunch DLC.
- "Up the Down Steroid" - Sells steroids to Jimmy, first appearance.
- "Crippled Summer" - Tries to sabotage Jimmy's team winning the summer camp games.
- "Black Friday" - Seen on the PS4 side.
- "A Song of Ass and Fire" (cameo) - Seen on the PS4 side.
- "Titties and Dragons" (cameo) - Seen on the PS4 side.
- "Handicar" - Tries to stop Timmy from raising money for summer camp.
- "Where My Country Gone?" (cameo)
- "Safe Space" (cameo) - Seen in the hallways.
- "Tweek x Craig" - Seen at the school assembly.
- "Sponsored Content" - Becomes the new school newspaper writer.
- "Truth and Advertising" - Still the school newspaper writer.
- "PC Principal Final Justice" - The secondary antagonist, takes Jimmy hostage at his apartment but gets beaten and betrayed by his prostitute/girlfriend: Classi.
- "Moss Piglets" - He tries to win the annual special education science fair.
- "Basic Cable" - Sells a Disney+ account to Scott Malkinson in exchange for doses of his insulin.
- South Park: Post Covid - Appears in Kenny's memorial service.
- South Park: Post Covid: The Return of Covid - Seen attending a party at Denny's Applebee's Max.
- ""South Park" Up the Down Steroid (TV episode 2004)". IMDb.com.