Mr. Mackey, Jr. is the guidance counselor at South Park Elementary, best known for saying "m'kay" at the end of most of his sentences. He also serves on the City Council as head of Public Health. His first name is unknown.
- 1 Background
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Prominence
- 8 References
Mackey is known to have a talent in singing and has sung the following songs:
- In "Ike's Wee Wee", he sings the Pat Benatar song Love is a Battlefield, while staggering home drunk.
- In "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics", Mackey sings Carol of the Bells.
- In South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, Mackey sings his own song "It's Easy, Mmm'kay" to his students to stop them from swearing.
- In "I'm a Little Bit Country", he sings the episodes final song with other South Park townspeople.
- In "Royal Pudding", he is shown to be in charge of a play for the Kindergartners, involving helping their singing.
- Attempted Murder/Kidnapping: In "Bass to Mouth", Mr. Mackey with assistance from Principal Victoria and Mr. Adler tries to distract the public from a possible school scandal by tying up Eric Cartman and literally throwing him in front of a bus.
- Child sexual abuse (falsely accused): He is one of the many adults accused of molesting children in "The Wacky Molestation Adventure", however, the kids only made this accusation to get all the adults in town arrested and have the whole city to themselves.
- Giving drugs to minors: In "Ike's Wee Wee", he gives a bowl of marijuana to the fourth graders for them to smell. Although, he did it for educational reference.
- Threat: In "Insheeption", Mr. Mackey threatens to rape Stan after the latter interferes with his trash.
Mackey wears a green long-sleeved dress shirt, blue tie, dark blue slacks, and blue leather shoes. His hair is black and is thinning. He wears large, black-rimmed glasses. Mackey is well known for his exaggeratedly large balloon head. He has a pointed nose and dimples near the edges of his mouth. It has been implied in "Ike's Wee Wee" that the size of his head is caused by the tightness of his tie. Yet, in "Child Abduction is Not Funny", his parents are shown to have the same condition. However, in "Proper Condom Use", his tie is removed before he and Ms. Choksondik have intercourse, and his head remains the same size.
- To see images of Mr. Mackey, visit Mr. Mackey/Gallery.
Mackey is one of the few relatively sensible and level-headed adults in South Park. He has occasionally taught classes at the school and taught sex education with Ms. Choksondik. After her death, he took over the fourth-grade class until Mr. Garrison returned. During a drug-education class, Mackey passes some marijuana around the classroom, and it was stolen (apparently by one of the children, though it is later revealed that the actual thief was Mr. Garrison). For this, Mr. Mackey is fired by the school, and evicted by his landlord, and, feeling depressed, he ends up taking drugs himself. He hates it when the children at the school defecate in the urinals and has used at least seven different terms for the word "crap", including "mud monkey" and "chocolate corn/hot dog". He also enjoys messing with pranksters and is a prankster himself as seen in "Summer Sucks". He sides with the "Rock n' Roll" side in "I'm a Little Bit Country", but is later seen as a John McCain supporter in "About Last Night...". He is not very proficient with computers, as seen in "The Ungroundable". In "How to Eat with Your Butt", Mackey suggests to Cartman he should pursue a career writing for the show Friends, implying that he is not a fan of the show.
It is revealed in "Insheeption", Mackey is a hoarder as a result of intense psychological trauma as a child. Mackey is shown as a timid fourth grader in 1974 who is bullied by a group of children led by Billy Thompson. It is also revealed that Mackey was a fan of Woodsy Owl, who at the end of the field trip during his fourth-grade year, molested Mackey. His "give a hoot, don't pollute" message stuck in Mackey's mind as he repressed the memory, causing his hoarding tendencies.
However, over the time of the series, he developed a very bad temper. In "Insheeption" he angrily states to Stan Marsh that he will rape him in the mouth if Stan throws anything that he hoarded in his office away.
In "Ike's Wee Wee", after he became an outcast for supposedly giving drugs to the children, Mr. Mackey met up with a young female drug addict, who invited him to her house to finger-paint. He accepted, and a short while later, at her place, she said "they should get married and have their honeymoon in India". He agreed, but then he was rescued by the A-Team who put him into rehab. His wife has never been seen since as she was left in India. A goof is that in "Proper Condom Use", he states that the last time he had sex was 21 years ago (which accounts for his age as he also mentions he was 19 at the time). However, he clearly had sex with Mrs. Mackey. However, this is clearly backed up by the fact that he was high, so he could not remember it, like in "Proper Condom Use".
Mr. Mackey is seen flirting with Liane Cartman in "Cat Orgy" at his meteor shower party. When Eric Cartman calls his mother to complain about Shelly Marsh, who is watching him, she appears to not hear him and provides no help.
In "Something You Can Do with Your Finger", Cartman finds a tape that was recorded between his mother and Mackey, where he was her sex slave and had to drink out of a cup Liane urinated in.
In "Tsst", Mackey had a parent-teacher meeting with Liane, to discuss Cartman's behavior. This led to her bursting into tears, claiming that she is unable to control him. After, Mackey suggests calling one of the nanny reality television shows.
Ms. Diane Choksondik
During her introduction in "Fourth Grade", Mr. Mackey finds Ms. Choksondik, like the other teachers, disgusting, especially her sagging breasts. However, in "Proper Condom Use" Ms. Choksondik taught the girls about sex, and Mr. Mackey taught the boys. The two start to talk personally with each other, and this ultimately led to the two of them having intercourse. Indeed, after Ms. Choksondik's corpse was studied in "The Simpsons Already Did It", Mr. Mackey's semen was found in her stomach. The news anchor explains that the semen was not what killed her, leaving the audience to presume that Ms. Choksondik took some irony to her name and died choking on Mr. Mackey's penis.
He is very often seen with Principal Victoria, even outside of school, but there has never been any concrete evidence that they are in any sort of relationship, other than business, especially since the Principal's husband appeared in "About Last Night...". They do seem to have a friendly, casual relationship, though. In fact, Mackey hangs around Principal Victoria enough to look like not only the counselor but more a vice principal, although in "PC Principal Final Justice", it was revealed that he got Principal Victoria fired due to being used and not being listened to for 18 years.
In "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub", at his party, Mr. Mackey shows his guests his backyard hot tub and says he gets a lot of action because of it, jokingly. It was revealed in "Proper Condom Use" that he had not had sex in 21 years (besides with his "wife", when he was drugged).
- Mr. Mackey: "Why, Clyde? Why did you do it?"
Clyde: "I don't know."
Mr. Mackey: "You got a whole school here, Clyde! M'kay? You got over three hundred people that need to use the boys' room. Then, you decide you're gonna be a comedian, m'kay, and pinch one-off in the urinal, and leave it layin' there for everyone to have to look at! Okay, okay, you think it's funny, but nobody else does! They gotta walk in that bathroom and see your rancid dook propped up against the back of the urinal like a brown rag doll!
Principal Victoria: "Mr. Mackey, Clyde's parents are here."
Mr. Mackey: "M'kay, that's good! Let's see what your mom and dad have to say about your little poopscapade! Come on in, please. I'm just trying to get your son to explain why... he would drop a dook in the urinal!" ... "M'kay, m'kay."
- Mr. Mackey: "Drugs are bad, m'kay?"
- Rare among major adult characters, his first name is not revealed, though it's known he has his father's according to "Child Abduction is Not Funny".
- In "Insheeption", we learn that Mr. Mackey was a "level 5 office hoarder", meaning that he had a hoarding disorder (which he was cured of at the end of the episode by his dream therapy).
- Also in "Insheeption", we learn that he was raped (or at the very least molested) when he was in fourth grade by an anti-littering mascot called Woodsy Owl.
- He has a verbal tick which causes him to almost always insert the word "m'kay" into his sentences (usually at the end or after a clause.) This is his most well-known character trait. He speaks fluent Spanish and inserts "m'bien", the equivalent Spanish word, into his sentences when speaking the language, as shown in "Rainforest Shmainforest". However, in newer seasons, he does not seem to say "m'kay" as much as he used to.
- In-keeping with his nervous habits as an adult, he is shown to be a very nervous child in "Insheeption". Aside from his verbal tick, he is shown frequently tapping his knuckles together and behaving quite skittishly; shaking profusely and jumping when talked to. He seems to have had a very traumatic time at school, referring to his bedroom as "his happy place" in the same episode.
- Trey Parker stated on the commentary on the Season One DVD that this character was based on his school counselor Mr. Lackey, "[Mr. Lackey used to say], 'Trey, quit fooling around and get back to your schoolwork, m'kay' 'but, now, I'm making millions out of him' ".
- Mackey is one of two teachers at South Park Elementary, the other being Mr. Garrison, who have been fired from their jobs but later reinstated.
- It was implied in "Ike's Wee Wee" that his head size is caused due to his tie. Yet, in "Child Abduction is Not Funny", his parents are shown to have the same condition (though this might simply be because they all tie their ties too tightly.) However, in "Proper Condom Use", his tie is removed before he and Ms. Choksondik have intercourse, and his head remains the same size. This may simply be a continuity error or goof, or perhaps his tie would have to be removed for a limited time his head to shrink.
- In "Roger Ebert Should Lay off the Fatty Foods", he is shown to possess a mild psychic ability; using a "mild-meld" to discover what's happening to the brainwashed children. This has not been used since then.
- He appears to be on good terms with all of the faculty staff; he and Principal Victoria are shown spending together outside of school, he and Chef appear to interact with each other favorably and he was invited to Mackey's meteor shower party in "Cat Orgy" and "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub", and he frequently tries to help Mr. Garrison with his various mental health problems, going as far as to track down and visit his family to intervene and "save Mr. Garrison's life", describing himself as Mr. Garrison's therapist to his father in "World Wide Recorder Concert".
- In "Child Abduction is Not Funny", his father is seen, but in "Royal Pudding", his father is said to have been dead for two years. Though the episodes aired almost a decade apart, in-universe, they could not have taken place more than nine months apart.
- He seems to hold a grudge against Kyle, as seen in "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo", "Tonsil Trouble", and "Royal Pudding".
- In "Butterballs", it is revealed that Mr. Mackey has an internet degree.
- He tends to use euphemisms for various words. In "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo", he used the word "mookystinks" to describe fecal matter, and in "Clubhouses", he would use the words "skylarkings" and "tomfoolery" to describe Stan Marsh's note passing.
- He is very obsessive about people pooping in toilets and urinals.
- From Season Nineteen to Season Twenty-Three, he was the only staff member from the first season that still works at the school. Chef died in the Season Ten episode "The Return of Chef", Herbert Garrison ran for presidency (and then went missing) and Principal Victoria was fired from her job. Garrison would later return to teaching in Season Twenty-Four.
- In "Mystery of the Urinal Deuce" he shown to be over compulsive against people clogging up the urinal in the boys bathroom.
Mr. Mackey has thus far had a speaking role in multiple episodes in every season, as well as South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and South Park: The Fractured But Whole.
- "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo" - Debut appearance.
- "Damien" - Talks to Damien about why no one likes him.
- "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" - Stan, Kyle, and Kenny go to Mr. Mackey to find out what is wrong with Cartman.
- "Ike's Wee Wee" - Fired from his job after he accused of giving children drugs.
- "Conjoined Fetus Lady" - Seen at the dinner table at the Broflovksi's house.
- "The Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka " - Seen in the detention room.
- "City on the Edge of Forever (Flashbacks)" - Parents come to him asking where their children are.
- "Summer Sucks" (Heard) - Calls Mr. Garrison.
- "Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls" - (Cameo)
- "Roger Ebert Should Lay off the Fatty Foods"
- "Clubhouses"- Stan Marsh is called to his office after being caught passing a note.
- "Cow Days" - (Cameo) - Seen at the carnival.
- "Chef Aid" - (Cameo) - Seen being carried by the crowd.
- "Rainforest Shmainforest" - Director of the Getting Gay With Kids.
- "Spontaneous Combustion" - Makes a fart joke when he sees Stan and Kyle.
- "Jakovasaurs" - States that Jakovasaurs piss him off.
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut - Sings a song called It's Easy, Mmm'kay.
- "Sexual Harassment Panda" - Sues Stan for making an unwarranted comment about the shape of his ass.
- "Cat Orgy" - Seen flirting with Liane Cartman at the meteor shower party.
- "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub" - Seen at the meteor shower party.
- "Hooked on Monkey Fonics"
- "The Red Badge of Gayness" - Seen as part of Cartman's drunken army of male soldiers.
- "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" - Sings "Carol of the Bells".
- "Are You There God? It's Me, Jesus"
- "World Wide Recorder Concert" - Goes to Arkansas with Mr. Garrison and the third-grade class.
- "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000" - Gives Cartman two weeks of detention for throwing a rock at Token Black.
- "Timmy 2000" - He and Principal Victoria ignore Timmy's disability and think he has ADD.
- "Cherokee Hair Tampons" - Advises Herbert Garrison to write a novel after he loses his job as a teacher.
- "Chef Goes Nanners" - Seen shopping at the supermarket when Chef talks to him.
- "Something You Can Do with Your Finger" (in-home video) - As Liane Cartman's sex slave.
- "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?"
- "Fourth Grade" - He and Principal Victoria and Chef are disgusted by Ms. Choksondik.
- "Fat Camp" - Appears at a meeting discussing Cartman's weight.
- "The Wacky Molestation Adventure" (Cameo) - Arrested by the police for child sexual abuse.
- "A Very Crappy Christmas" - States that he is sick of Christmas.
- "Cripple Fight" - Jimmy Valmer does an impression of him.
- "Terrance and Phillip: Behind the Blow" - Tells Terrance to be quiet as he watching Terrance and Phillip: Behind the Blow.
- "Proper Condom Use" - Forms a sexual relationship with Ms. Choksondik and teaches the boys of the fourth-grade sex education.
- "Kenny Dies" - Tells Stan and Kyle about Kenny's illness.
- "Jared Has Aides" - Seen in the angry mob chasing Jared Fogle.
- "The Simpsons Already Did It" - Mentioned by a news reporter.
- "Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society" - Teaches the fourth-grade class.
- "Child Abduction is Not Funny" - Teaches the fourth-grade class but has trouble since all the students have their parents present as well as his parents.
- "The Death Camp of Tolerance" - Reintroduces Mr. Garrison to his class.
- "Red Sleigh Down" - Seen in the crowd with the townspeople.
- "Toilet Paper" - Calls The Boys to his office.
- "I'm a Little Bit Country" - Seen in on Anti-War side.
- "Fat Butt and Pancake Head" - Seen listening to Cartman's speech.
- "Red Man's Greed"
- "South Park is Gay!"
- "Butt Out" - Catches The Boys smoking behind the school, which causes the school to burn down.
- "Good Times with Weapons" (Cameo) - Seen at the angry town meeting.
- "Up the Down Steroid" - Timmy tries to tell him that Jimmy is on steroids, but Mr. Mackey fails to understand Timmy due to Timmy's limited vocabulary.
- "Douche and Turd" - Counts the up between Giant Douche and the Turd Sandwich.
- "Goobacks" - (Cameo)
- "Pre-School" - (in flashback)
- "Die Hippie, Die"
- "Erection Day" - Mr. Mackey is offended when the students call him gay and he reports Jimmy Valmer's erection to his parents.
- "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow"
- "Trapped in the Closet" - Seen at the Scientology church.
- "The Return of Chef" (Cameo) - Seen at Chef's funeral.
- "Cartoon Wars Part I" - States that he likes the idea of people burying they head in the sand.
- "Smug Alert!" - Buys a Highbird along with everyone else in town.
- "Manbearpig" - Welcomes Al Gore at the school assembly.
- "Tsst" - Tells Liane Cartman that her son's behavior has gotten out of control.
- "Mystery of the Urinal Deuce" - Tries to find the boy who defecated on the urinal.
- "Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy" - He and principal Victoria give Eric Cartman the hall mentor position.
- "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson"
- "Cartman Sucks" - Delivers an emergency message to Eric Cartman from his mother about the photo of Butters and Cartman.
- "Le Petit Tourette" - His clothing appearance got modified.
- "Tonsil Trouble" - Breaks up the fight between Cartman and Kyle.
- "Major Boobage" - Gives students a lesson on cat urine.
- "Canada on Strike" - Tells the students it's Canada appreciation day.
- "Eek, A Penis!" - Tells Mr. Garrison he should not teach until he gets his emotions under control and told Eric Cartman he did a good job at teaching.
- "Breast Cancer Show Ever" - Comes to break up the fight between Eric Cartman and Wendy Testaburger.
- "About Last Night..." - Seen supporting John McCain along with Herbert Garrison, Principal Victoria, and many others.
- "Elementary School Musical"
- "The Ungroundable " - Teaches a computer class.
- "Pinewood Derby" - Seen at the pinewood derby race.
- "The F Word"
- "Dances with Smurfs"
- "Sexual Healing "(Cameo) - Seen at Kenny's funeral.
- "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs"
- "200" - Seen in Principal Victoria's office.
- "201" - Seen in the crowd giving Santa in bear costume to gingers.
- "It's a Jersey Thing"
- "Insheeption" - Revealed to have been sexually abused by Woodsy Owl in his childhood which caused him to develop a hoarding disorder.
- "Funnybot" - Seen being held hostage by the Germans along with the rest of the school.
- "Royal Pudding" - Directs a kindergarten play on tooth decay.
- "Ass Burgers" - States that Stan Marsh Asperger Syndrome due to him receiving the flu a year earlier.
- "Bass to Mouth"
- "1%" (cameo) - Seen at the school assembly.
- "A Nightmare on Face Time"
- "A Scause For Applause" - Crying because he does not know what to believe in anymore.
- "World War Zimmerman" - Eric Cartman and Token Black are called to his office numerous times.
- "Taming Strange" - Buys a new computer system that does not work right and refuses to admit that the system was a negative idea.
- "Ginger Cow" - Kyle comes to his office to talk about the farting issue with Cartman.
- "The Hobbit" - Calls Wendy Testaburger to his office numerous times.
- "Gluten Free Ebola" -Talks about himself being gluten-free much to everyone's annoyance.
- "The Cissy" - Listens to Mr. Garrison's speech about transgender people.
- "#REHASH" - Calls CartmanBrah to the principal's office.
- "Stunning and Brave" - Given detention by PC Principal when he states Token is black.
- "Where My Country Gone?"
- "The City Part of Town"
- "Safe Space" - Tells Eric Cartman that he should not have put a picture of himself on the internet.
- "Naughty Ninjas" - Seen protesting outside Park County Police Station.
- "Sponsored Content"
- "Truth and Advertising" - Kyle finds him in the principal's office.
- "PC Principal Final Justice" - Revealed to be the one who got Principal Victoria fired from her job as principal as he was tired of being used by her for eighteen years.
- "Member Berries" - Tries to help Kyle with his issue and eats Memberberries.
- "Skank Hunt" - Frustrated with Scott Malkinson's constantly dramatic threats to quit Twitter, he begrudgingly prevents him from doing so.
- "Members Only" - Seen announcing to PC Principal the arrival of President Garrison.
- "Not Funny" - Seen at church.
- "Franchise Prequel" - Introduces the parents to Mark Zuckerberg at the school.
- "Hummels & Heroin" - Oversees Marcus Preston's presentation in the school cafeteria.
- "Moss Piglets" - Forces Heidi to judge the special education annual Science fair.
- "SUPER HARD PCness"
- "Dead Kids" - He stands behind PC Principal and then he runs into the hallway to try to stop an active shooter.
- "A Boy And A Priest" - Seen in church. Later calls up the Denver Cathedral for help when Father Maxi goes missing.
- "The Problem with a Poo" - Seen at the Christmas Concert. Later watches Mr. Hankey leave South Park.
- "Tegridy Farms" - Tells Randy and Sharon about Shelly's vaping. Kyle later tries to speak to him about the vaping epidemic.
- "The Scoots" - Tries, and later succeeds (with the help of Kenny), to get rid of the E-Scooters.
- "Time To Get Cereal" (voice only) - Calls Cartman and Kenny to the principal's office.
- "Nobody Got Cereal?" - Watches Satan dying. Later, he is seen in front of Park County Courthouse, waiting for Stan's verdict on the negotiation with ManBearPig.
- "Buddha Box" - Checks that PC Principal and Strong Woman are not having inappropriate relations.
- "Unfulfilled" - Seen protesting against Amazon on the customer's side.
- "Bike Parade" - Tells Santa that the town got rid of Mr. Hankey.
- "Mexican Joker" - Arrives at Stotch Residence to get weed seeds from Stephen.
- "Band in China" - Tells Crimson Dawn that their music is too angry.
- "Shots!!!" - Seen at the PTA meeting.
- "Let Them Eat Goo" - Tries to help deal with the school lunch protests.
- "Tegridy Farms Halloween Special" - Consults Butters about the mummy problem.
- "Season Finale" - Seen at the City Hall.
- "Board Girls" - Talks to Cartman, Butters, and Scott about the girls taking over their board game club.
- "Turd Burglars" - Talks to Cartman, Stan, and Kenny about stealing Kyle's mom's feces and asks them to obtain the "spice".
- "Basic Cable" - Introduces the new girl Sophie Gray to the class.
- "Christmas Snow" - Seen singing at the beginning and loses his Christmas spirit after Santa temporarily bans alcohol.
- "The Pandemic Special" - Hosts a parent-teacher Zoom conference.
- "South ParQ Vaccination Special" - Tries to get vaccinated against COVID-19 unsuccessfully until vaccines from Israel are brought in. Also seen working at the school.
Mr. Mackey first appears in Detention Sentence watching over kids under detention and having hallway monitors stationed around the school to catch intruders. Mr. Mackey took particular attention on Craig, who had previously escaped from detention. Meanwhile, The New Kid is on a quest to rescue Craig out of detention, defeating the hallway monitors which caught the attention from Mr. Mackey. Through the PA system, he inadvertently reveals the method to gain access to the keys required to unlock the detention hall.
He would later appear in the Park County Community Center taking part in the PTA meeting. Following the meeting, as Randy is teaching the New Kid a new fart power, Randy instructs them to use their newly learnt skill on Mr. Mackey who was using the toilet.
Mr. Mackey would remain in the community center to manage a small shop. He is also the quest giver for Wasted Cache, where he request the New Kid's help to drop off a monitor at his storage room in U-STOR-IT, while denying that he has a hoarding problem.
Mr. Mackey invites the New Kid for two counselling sessions in The Talk and The Talk 2: The Gendering regarding their gender issues. After the New Kid has selected their own sex/gender, Mr. Mackey will call the New Kid's parents regarding their choices.
After Mitch Conner had been sworn in as mayor of South Park, the New Kid attempted to travel back in time in order to stop the inauguration, only to be brought further into the future. While in the future timeline, the New Kid along with Toolshed, Human Kite and Mysterion encountered Mr. Mackey high on alcohol, who was later beheaded by the Woodland Critters.
|South Park Elementary staff|
|Coach Miles | Girls' volleyball coach | Herbert Garrison | Jose Venezuela | Mitchell | Mr. Derp | Mr. Garrett | Mr. Harris | Mr. Mackey | Mr. Meryl | Mr. Thompson | Mr. Wyland | Mrs. Streibel | PC Principal | Pearl | Recess supervisor | Richard Adler | Strong Woman | Substitute teacher|
|Diane Choksondik | Jerome "Chef" McElroy | Margaret Nelson | Miss Claridge | Mr. Conners | Mr. Slave | Ms. Ellen | Ms. Stevenson | Nurse Gollum | Principal Victoria | Randy Marsh | Veronica Crabtree|
|South Park families|
Other Characters' Families