When Trey Parker and Matt Stone created the character of Mayor McDaniels, they wanted her to be a sophisticated and egotistical person as heard on the "Weight Gain 4000" commentary for South Park: The Complete First Season. She can be seen to fit this description, often being stubborn and sticking by her own decisions extensively.
Despite her normal manner, after the music festival in "Die Hippie, Die" got out of control, the Mayor attempted suicide after saying, "What have I done?" and shooting herself in the head. However, she is seen to have survived in the same episode with a blood-stained bandage around her head. She has since returned to her regular personality and is the go-to official when matters affect South Park or when a political representative for the town is needed for an episode.
She wears a blue jacket and green trousers. She also wears gold earrings. Her hair is turquoise-blue, and her lips are rather thin.
- To see images of Mayor McDaniels, visit Mayor McDaniels/Gallery.
The Mayor acts like she is better than everyone else, most likely because she attended Princeton University. She also thinks South Park is a dump, as mentioned in several episodes. She tries to show that she has changed the town around, although, in reality, she is highly inactive. Though she occasionally seems like a relatively normal politician, she was happy to join Mr. Garrison, Jimbo, and others in cannibalism by eating Eric Roberts and the rest of a cast and crew from Hollywood who came to film a re-enactment of the shooting of Dr. Mephesto.
She once left the microphone on when Kathie Lee Gifford was giving out the prize for the best environmental essay and was overheard shouting she was "stuck in this stupid town with all these rednecks". Highly ambitious, it has been suggested she only became Mayor as a gateway to a higher political office in Colorado.
In the earlier seasons of the show, it was implied that Mayor McDaniels was either a closeted lesbian or bisexual. In "Spontaneous Combustion", she was seen at the City Hall, in bed wearing a mudpack while reading a porn magazine called "Gazunga's", which had a busty woman on the cover. As the series progressed, the concept of bisexuality became more likely, as she has had a few relationships with women and men.
In "Tweek x Craig" it is implied that she may have lost a loved one in the past as there is a picture of a man on her desk that she holds to her chest and she is later seen visiting a gravestone, it may have been her husband.
Amongst the mixed implications of her sexuality, Officer Barbrady is implied to have had sexual relations with her in some episodes with questionable behavior in her office, though it is deliberately ambiguous and mainly with implication. Indeed, the South Park Studios biography states that; "she and Officer Barbrady go looking for men nightly."
Jerome "Chef" McElroy
- Main article: Chef
In "Chef Aid", it is implied that she is not a lesbian, when she makes love to Chef, who was collecting money to pay for legal fees.
- Main article: Officer Barbrady
In "Starvin' Marvin" she acted sarcastically towards Dr. Mephesto when he explained to her about the rampaging turkeys. She was also very sarcastic to Chef when he told her about the zombie epidemic in the episode "Pinkeye".
In both episodes, in the same scenes, she was seen with Officer Barbrady, and her aides were nowhere to be found. This implies that, while she may have really been skeptical about their stories, she probably just wanted to get rid of them so she could resume being alone with Barbrady. It is implied in "Pinkeye" and in "Summer Sucks" that the two of them are having sexual intercourse, as in the former episode, Barbrady is seen in women's lingerie looking out from behind the desk. Both of them looked very haggard, while the mayor is listening to Chef, and a huge pile of cash was on top of the desk. Their relationship also, apparently, had no involvement with the Japanese mafia. In "Summer Sucks", it was shown that Barbrady was performing oral sex on her, though due to his lack of intellect, he may have been doing so unwittingly.
In "Naughty Ninjas", she and other South Park citizens (the City Council) use Officer Barbrady as their scapegoat for minorities being shot, and force him to retire twice. This episode fully depicts her cruelty, indifference and ruthlessness towards Officer Barbrady.
- Main article: Liane Cartman
Mayor McDaniels has apparently had sex with Liane Cartman, like many other men and women have. This is revealed at the end of "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut", when the overhead speaker says "Who is Eric Cartman's mother? Is it Mrs. Broflovski? The mayor? Mrs. Crabtree?" Cartman rejects having this knowledge revealed, so the possibility remained for several seasons that his mother was the mayor. This was later refuted in "201", where it was revealed to be a total lie.
The Mayor is always followed by her two aides. They have a very similar appearance and often make plans for which McDaniels inevitably takes credit. Part of their names are both revealed in "Volcano"; one is referred to as Ted, who has a mustache. The other, Johnson, does not. Both of their names are taken from NFL player Ted Johnson, who used to play for New England Patriots.
In "Volcano", Mayor fires Johnson for exposing her lack of common sense. Surprisingly, Johnson accepts with pleasure, which indicates a bad relationship between him and the Mayor. In later episodes Johnson is rehired.
In "Night of the Living Homeless", Ted helps the boys to escape from the homeless people when they get too high in number, but due to a car accident, he is killed. In "Medicinal Fried Chicken", another man, in a suit similar to Johnson's, is seen with the Mayor and Johnson various times.
- Mayor McDaniels did not appear at all in season 18 or season 20.
- She is the first female character to fart in the series.
- "Weight Gain 4000" - Debut Appearance.
- "Volcano" - Rescues the boys Jimbo and Ned from the volcano.
- "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride" (cameo) - Seen cheering at the football game.
- "Death" - Seen with the other parents disgusting about Terrance and Phillip.
- "Pinkeye" - She an Officer Barbrady Don't Believe Chief about the zombies.
- "Starvin' Marvin" - She helps the town defeat the mutant turkey's
- "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo" - Denies Herbert Garrison's request to get rid of all the Mexicans.
- "Damien" (cameo) - Seen watching Jesus and Satan fight in a boxing match.
- "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" (cameo) - Seen in the bar sitting with Principal Victoria, when Eric Cartman comes in.
- "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut"
- "Chickenlover"- Makes Officer Barbrady solve an Animal Molestation Case.
- "Conjoined Fetus Lady" Seen at Dinner with Nurse Gollum.
- "City on the Edge of Forever" (flashback)
- "Summer Sucks" - She helps to kill the giant snake.
- "Cow Days" - Declares Shinanagins on the carnival.
- "Chef Aid" - Seen having sex with Chef in order to help him raise money for his court case.
- "Spookyfish" Celebrates in the pumpkin competition
- "Prehistoric Ice Man" - Present at the Death Row debate.
- "Spontaneous Combustion" - Asks Randy Marsh to investigate why people are dying of Spontaneous Combustion.
- "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut" (cameo)
- "Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery"
- "Hooked on Monkey Fonics"
- "Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics" (cameo) - Seen during the final Christmas song.
- "Chef Goes Nanners"
- "A Very Crappy Christmas" - Tries to get people back into the Christmas spirit.
- "Here Comes the Neighborhood"
- "Jared Has Aides "
- "Child Abduction is Not Funny"
- "A Ladder to Heaven"
- "Red Sleigh Down" - Listens to Jimmy Valmer sing "The 12 Days of Christmas" for most of the episode.
- "I'm a Little Bit Country"
- "Krazy Kripples"
- "Lil' Crime Stoppers" (mentioned)
- "Red Man's Greed"
- "Butt Out"
- "It's Christmas in Canada"- Shown speaking to the people of South Park at the town's Christmas tree lighting and again denies Mr. Garrison's request to get rid of all the Mexicans.
- "Good Times with Weapons"
- "Goobacks" (cameo)
- "Douche and Turd"- Banishes Stan from South Park.
- "Die Hippie, Die" - Attempts suicide, when she sees the town filled with hippies but survives.
- "The Return of Chef" (cameo)
- "Cartoon Wars Part I"
- "Night of the Living Homeless"
- "Major Boobage" (cameo)
- "D-Yikes!" - Ms. Garrison and numerous lesbians go to her office to stop their bar from getting closed down.
- "The F Word"
- "Sexual Healing"
- "Medicinal Fried Chicken"
- "A Scause For Applause"
- "The City Part of Town"- Makes a conference. Discusses the damage Mr. Garrison caused by his anti-immigration presidential bid.
- "You're Not Yelping"
- "Tweek x Craig"- Seen mourns over her husband's death.
- "Naughty Ninjas"- She fires Officer Barbrady for shooting an unarmed Latino-American. When she lets him back in, he fired him again, this time for shooting one of the boys, despite the request to do so.
- "PC Principal Final Justice" - Is a contestant in the gun show.
- "Sons A Witches" - Introduces the fathers as witches in a school assembly.
- "The Problem with a Poo" - She consults with the town's council about the budget and eventually fires Mr. Hankey from the Christmas Pageant and banishes him from South Park after he called her a "titless whore" on Twitter.
- "Buddha Box" - Cartman visits her to suggest they get everyone Buddha Boxes.
- "Bike Parade" - Blames herself for the Amazon Fulfillment Center built in town.
- "Mexican Joker" - Along with the City Council, she listens to Stan's complaint about home grown weed.
- "Band in China" - Introduces Crimson Dawn at the Autumn Fest.
- "Season Finale" - Accuses Randy of multiple crimes which include blowing up people's yards and slaughtering 1000 cows.
- "Turd Burglars" - Seen at the women's meeting at Park County Community Center.
Mayor McDaniels plays a minor role in the game. She can be found at City Hall and gives the player the side quest of beating up all the homeless people in town.