His unwavering belief that everyone is going to Hell goes so far as that he bluntly claimed that Timmy Burch would go to Hell, since Timmy cannot confess his sins, as he cannot speak anything fluently.
However, at times Father Maxi can come off as less of a fundamentalist, as in "Red Hot Catholic Love" in which he grows concerned by the massive amounts of sexual abuse cases regarding priest and children and is horrified to discover that sex with children is apparently part of Vatican Law. When he discovers this, he makes several attempts to change the "Holy Doctrine" so that sex with children is wrong, and suggesting that priests be allowed to have sex with women.
His desire to change Vatican Law and be allowed to sleep with women may have something to do with the fact that he has apparently had sex with several women in South Park, including Liane Cartman.
There are times also seems to know very little about religion; once, when seeing Jesus Christ, he exclaimed "Hey, it's that guy from the public access show!" However, considering that Jesus actually hosts a cable access show in South Park, this is most likely done for irony purposes.
The top is his hair is darker in color than the sides suggesting that he wears a toupee.
When it's announced that Jesus has been removed from the Christmas play, he requests that Santa Claus and Frosty be removed as well.
Father Maxi claims he will be able to convert Big Gay Al to being straight but it is revealed he made a similar claim about a man called "Peterson" who Father Maxi himself ended up having sex with.
Despite his character flaws, it was Father Maxi who, in the episode "Red Hot Catholic Love", unearthed the massive corruption behind the many church-related sexual assaults. He also forced the Catholic Church to stop letting priests molest young boys.
Priest Maxi can always be seen wearing black pants, black shoes, and a black shirt with a white collar.
His personality seems somewhat flexible based on the needs of the show; often he is a narrow-minded and intolerant man who is convinced most people are going to be damned to Hell, often for trivial offenses. For example in "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?" he states constantly through his sermons that Hell awaits everyone in the town who do not go to church and confess their sins.
Father Maxi is rude and disrespectful towards the beliefs of others, such as he when he tricks Kyle, who is Jewish, into helping Stan and Cartman, into doing he Stations of the Cross. Also in "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?", he informs Kyle that because of his beliefs, he and his family will go to Hell without question.
However, he still attempts to be good priest and leader of the community. In "Red Hot Catholic Love", it's revealed that he's the only priest not engaging in pedophilia. As a result he points out that they are to spreading the word of god, not harming the innocent. He even goes to Vatican City to stop this and nearly brings down the church as a result.
Though as a Roman Catholic priest Maxi is supposed to be celibate, he does not seem to regularly practice this. Like most of the adults in South Park, he has had sex with Liane Cartman at some point in his life, as mentioned in "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut". In in "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?", he was caught having sex with a woman named Mrs. Donovan, however, it is unlikely that she is Betsy Donovan, as her appearance was significantly different.
In "Cripple Fight" he admitted to having once been homosexual but claims to be reformed; however he apparently once had a sexual relationship with a man with Peterson who he was supposed to be trying to reforming of homosexuality. In "Red Hot Catholic Love " he pushes for a reformation of the celibacy rules as a way to stop priest pedophilia.
- Much like Principal Victoria, his inverted name is a reference to singer Maxi Priest.
- Like many men in South Park, he is a great fan of the Denver Broncos, going as far as including a Broncos chant in his sermons.
- In "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" it is shown or at least implied that he has had sex with Liane Cartman.
- Despite being minister for many of Kenny McCormick's funerals he wasn't minister for the funeral for Kenny's semi-permanent death. Instead, Mr. Garrison was the minister (and was even wearing a priest collar). In addition, he is not the priest for his death in "Sexual Healing".
- Father Maxi's devoutness to religion has ranged greatly over the course of the series - in "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?" and "Cripple Fight" he is shown to sin, but in episodes such as "Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery" and "Red Hot Catholic Love" he is shown being extremely devout.
- As of Season Thirteen, Father Maxi has had a speaking role in 19 episodes.
- "Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo"
- "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut"
- "Ike's Wee Wee"
- "Cow Days"
- "Spontaneous Combustion"
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (cameo)
- "Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery"
- "Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?"
- "Cripple Fight"
- "Red Hot Catholic Love"
- "Grey Dawn"
- "The Passion of the Jew"
- "Cartman Sucks"
- "The Ring"
- "The F Word"
- "Sexual Healing"
- "Reverse Cowgirl"