Derek Smalls (formerly Kevin McCarthy) is a reporter that appears in some episodes of the first seasons. He first appear in the Season Two episode "Summer Sucks". Derek was not seen with the other reporters in "Sponsored Content".
Derek Smalls wears a white shirt under a black suit with a blue tie, gray pants and black shoes. He has combed brown hair, a long head and small eyebrows.
- "Summer Sucks" - Debut.
- "Merry Christmas Charlie Manson!" - He announces that Charles Manson has managed to escape from prison.
- "Chef Aid"
- "Sexual Harassment Panda" - He announces the case of sexual harassment. He is named "Kevin McCarthy" in this episode.
- "Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub" - His name became "Derek Smalls". He reports the case of "religious cult" in the house throughout the episode. At the end of the episode he with the help of Stan, Butters, Dougie, and Pip, proves to Danny Ganz (ATF Commander) that there was no religious cult. Dougie compliments him throughout the episode and says he also wants to be a reporter someday.
- "Rainforest Shmainforest"
- "Grey Dawn"
- "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow" - Seen as one of the reporters on the "South Park Evening News".